PROJECT OVERVIEW / HULL 52
For this custom project, NEB teamed up with the San Diego design firm, Nelson/Marek Yacht Design. For more than 20 years this office has developed extraordinary design of all types, including Americas Cup, measurement rule ocean racers and performance cruisers.
The ACK 55 (radio call letters for the Nantucket airport) is the latest in an evolution of performance day sailing concepts from NMYD. An experienced yacht owner from Nantucket, USA spent years cruising on sail and power yachts before commissioning this purpose built sailing machine. Design parameters are based on ease of handling, speed and maximum fun with the lines of an eye catching, modern concept.
Harken USA developed a user friendly hydraulic sail control system (Hydro 2.2) developed for short handed sailing. Only two winches on a 55 foot performance boat appears too clean on deck to be true but tacking and gybing is easy with a dual wheel system and push-button sail controls. Hall Spars did there part to keep the system simple with a swept spreader carbon rig together with a Forespar hydraulic boom furling main and under deck jib furler from Harken. Nelson Marek designed the modern concept jib-club boom, built by NEB with integral hydraulic controls again led back to a push button on either of the dual helm pods. Under deck main & jib sheeting enhances the clean look from bow to stern. After an exciting day on Nantucket sound this rocket will slide easily back in to the shallow waters inside the breakwater with the aid of a push button lifting keel.
For more information on this or any new construction or refit project, call NEB today. Contact: NEB Email
LOA: 16.67m / 54.67ft LWL: 16.05m / 52.64ft MAX BEAM: 3.25m / 10.66ft
DRAFT: Lifting Keel Up 2.45m / 8.03ft Down 3.65m / 12ft DISPL: (mooring trim) 8,300kgs / 18,260lbs
- Design: Nelson/Marek Yacht Design, Inc. Nantucket 55 / NM Design No. 137
- Engineer: High Modulus Int. Ltd.
- Type: High Quality auxillary sailing yacht for inshore and offshore racing. Originally conceived as a “simple, fast, and fun day sailer”
- Construction: Carbon Pre-preg epoxy composite over Nomex Honecomb & Core-cell foam cores. Vacuum laminated / Heat cured to design spec
- Mast: Hall Spars Autoclave cured pre preg carbon, 3 spreader fractional. Swept spreaders
- Main boom: Forespar Carbon Leisure Furl boom w/hydraulic furling motor.
- Standing Rigging: Navtec Series 800. No Backstay
- Running Rigging: Hall Rigging custom. No runners or checkstays
- Jib Furler: Harken Mark IV Unit 3 under deck system
- Jib-Club boom: NMYD design, built by NEB, Carbon. JP3 bearings (2)
- Hydraulic sail controls & keel hydraulics: Under deck Main & Jib sheeting. Harken Hydro 2.2 Hydraulic Power Unit – Mainsheet, Jib sheet, Furling Main, 2 spd. Winches (2), Keel lift & Harken vang
- Keel: Steel fin machined / Lead bulb
- Twin Rudders: NEB Pre-preg intermediate modulus carbon / epoxy. Tapered shafts/JP3 bearings
- Steering: Custom NEB carbon quadrants – Double cable / Cross led system / PBO cables
- Engine: Yanmar 3YM30C 30HP Diesel / Saildrive-SD20 / Gori racing prop
- Generator: Fischer Panda AGT 4000 Diesel DC Generator. 24VDC x 110 Amp
- Electronics: Custom Navigation
- Sails: North Sails
Email: Email NEB
More Details: ACK55 SCOOT
PDFs: Designer's Comments and Design Particulars
Sea Trial Photos: First Sea Trial October 2009
Sailing Magazine article: March 2010 “Scoot - Custom Daysailer”